Monday, July 8, 2013

Spookshow Pool Party Extravaganza!


Hey, everyone! As you can see in the teaser above, I've finally gotten my first swimsuit. Mrs. Spookshow & I took Bridget down to visit my parents and swim in the pool on Sunday, and I brought along the camera and tripod to take some photos! It was such a fun time, and I got a lot of great photos from the family party. This is going to be super picture heavy, ya'll, so brace for impact!


Sunglasses: Domino Dollhouse
Swimsuit: Modcloth
Shoes: Crocs

I really can't even express how much I adore this swimsuit! Swimwear has always been such a frustration for me, as I've always absolutely loved the range of selection available in women's swimwear, but never felt confident enough to 'take the plunge' and get one of my own. I feel there's a certain irony there, being a guy who wears dresses every day, to have reservations or fears about wearing a swimsuit, but previously in my mind there's just been "tiers" when it comes to breaking sartorial gender stereotypes. In my head, a skirt is easier to wear than a dress, and a dress is easier than swimwear. In retrospect that doesn't make much sense really, but that's how my confidence in my own wardrobe choices has progressed over time. To be super nerdy for a moment, I think I've leveled up!


Outside of family fun around the pool, taking this photo set was really an event in itself. My dad was really fascinated with how much effort goes into taking photos for the blog, as previously my parents have only ever read the blog and seen the finished photos. He got to see all the tripod manipulation, lighting troubles, and 10 second run-and-posing, haha. I've not talked about that on the blog previously, but a reader did ask me in messages last week how I take my photos. The vast majority of the photos taken for the blog are self captured with a tripod and 10 second photo timer. There are times when Mrs. Spookshow will take photos, but generally I do most of it all by myself. Anyhow, dad got a kick out of watching the madness, haha.


Here's some family shots of Mrs. Spookshow & I with our baby, as well as a photo we took with my mom. It appears that we somehow managed to not get my father in any pictures, but he doesn't swim so there weren't a whole lot of opportunities there either.


This is a pretty great picture of my mom, trying to show me how I should pose for a photo....


I couldn't quite nail the pose, so this is what I came up with. I did kick back and relax for a bit, haha.


Not the greatest photo of yours truly (this was taken shortly after Guinness number 4, so cut me some slack), but a fun picture with my mother so I wanted to include it here.


Mom and Hiedi wanted me to pose over on this fort with mom's robots, so after we finished swimming we popped out to the backyard and they took these photos. My dad built me this fort when I was younger, though since I've moved out they've decorated it with these cool robot sculptures my dad got mom one Christmas. Super fun!


This was such an uplifting experience for me in terms of body positivity and confidence. I feel like I've managed to cast off a lot of doubts and fears that kept me from really enjoying myself in a watery setting, but now those chains have been broken. Even more important than that, though, I had such a great time at the pool with my family, and it will be a memory that I will always cherish. Thanks for reading!

Follow on Bloglovin

9 comments:

  1. I love a good one-piece, although it's next to impossible to find one in my size and a style that I like. I prefer the suits of the 80s, all shiny nylon spandex with higher necklines front and back. Nowadays they're more likely to be cotton blend or at best microfiber, with a halter top, a back that plunges to just above your hips, and a front that has just a thin strand of fabric covering the naughty bits .

    Woman Within has a brand, Swim365, that mostly meets my needs. I got a black one. I live in a conservative rural community where I would be beaten to death with my own severed arm if I ever actually went out in the dresses and other nonstandard wear that I enjoy at home, but the swimsuit makes it more comfortable in my home office when it's too hot for a dress.

    One summer my wife and I were on vacation and I needed to get out of the hotel room and stretch my legs. It was dark out, and I was 1500 miles away from anyone who would ever see me again, and I was in a bad mood... so I just pulled on a pair of trunks over the bottom half of the swimsuit and went out. All was well at first; as I suspected, between the dark and the other things going on the few people out didn't give me a second look.

    Then I rounded a corner and things got ugly. I stepped into the brighter light of a parking lot lamppost, and there was a large crowd talking loudly around some parked cars. As I came into view, all talking stopped... and then as I passed them, I could hear gales of laughter from behind my back. I was literally in fear of my life as I scurried out of sight!

    Acceptance is a battle I'm not willing to fight on my own. I'll leave it to you younger folks to take the bruises. At least my wife understands and accepts me for who I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this, Ralph!

      Sorry you had a bad encounter. Sometimes, I actually think the dark can work against us. I feel a lot more safe and open when I'm out during the day, particularly in crowded places. The way we carry and conduct ourselves is also very important, I think. It's mostly just a theory, but I suspect that folks who would hassle a guy in a dress can pick up on our own insecurities or lack of confidence and subconsciously convert that to provocation.

      The most important thing, though, is to always keep within range of your own comfort levels, and do what feels best to you! Stay safe, friend, and keep rockin!

      Delete
  2. You look great! And I need that suit! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's really a fantastic suit. I've seen it on a lot of different people recently, and it always looks awesome. Keep rockin'! <3

      Delete
  3. I have a suit nearly like this one, but black. I love love love it, I feel like a pin-up model, which is a nice feeling after carrying two kiddos. I think my favorite aspect is the full rear coverage, no more wedgies. I also find it very flattering.

    I have to admit, I'm a bit jealous you can wear yours as a halter. My giant bust (34F) makes my neck hurt if I tie it like that; I cross the straps in the back and then tie them in the front under my bust. Much more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are a few of my absolute favourite photographs of you.

    You look absolutely Great! The coolest and sassiest girl in town! Will reblog them on my blog - hope you don't mind. I just love the way you carry yourself!

    Lots of love from a fan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those photo shoots are beautiful :) !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last year I was in the US, but I have forgotten where you live, first of all I must say that it's good to see that your Mum has no problem with you wearing what's essentially a female's swimwear, it would be great if you came out to Australia, be warned though we are a bit of a conservative bunch, the idea of men wearing what's essentially a female swimsuit would think that you must be gay which is unfortunate, OK I'm a gay person here but that's not the point, the point is that you don't have to be a gay person to wear skirts, dresses and even female attire swimwear.

    I have a saying that goes something like this and you can use it if you like, it goes something like this, Not all men who wear skirts, dresses, female swimwear are gay and not all gay men wear skirts, dresses and/or female swimwear, but myself and quite a few like myself are an exception to the rule, it is evidently clear that you are a happily married heterosexual guy who just happen to like wearing what's considered female clothing, if there were more people like you out there in the world openly wearing what you are wearing, it would slowly, slowly change people's attitude towards people like yourself and I who do like to wear things like that.

    I am also like you, I don't like what's available for men in the swimwear department, but I like what's available for women, the trouble shortly after we are born we have had the attitude ingrained in our minds that goes something like this, men wear shorts, pants and board shorts, Speedo bathers, women wear the skirts, dresses and bikinis and the one-piece swimwear and men and boys shouldn't be wearing things like that, to me that attitude is a shame on our society.

    I can't wait to see what you have for your spring, summer in your clothing, including swimwear, if only more people saw your website and have a look what a normal person you really are, they'd soon change their attitudes real quick.

    ReplyDelete