Tuesday, June 11, 2013

OOTD: Collective

A few weeks ago I was asked by a reader on my Tumblr to post my take on business attire. It's not a style I'm very familiar with, but I decided to give it a shot anyhow. Let's get to it!


Blazer: Forever 21+
Top: Macy's
Skirt: Macy's
Shoes: Madden Girl

Over the past few years of writing His Black Dress, I've steadily been working on shifting my wardrobe to skirts & dresses. When I started out, I only had a few items that I felt good about, but a little while back I finally reached a point where I felt I had a fully developed wardrobe. While I still make occasional purchases of garments I really love, my focus largely shifted to filling in any gaps in my closet, and one such gap was professional / business attire.

I've not interviewed for a job in well over ten years, and I've never worked in an environment which required professional attire, so it's a sartorial area that I've never really explored. Earlier this year I decided that it would be a fun experience to try to find at least a few items that I could wear if the need arose for business attire, which is what led to the purchase of all of the items I'm wearing here. 


I've actually started to love the look of blazers, so it was only a matter of time before I picked one up. Once the weather cools down a bit here, I'll probably try to incorporate blazers into my casual attire, but for now this one is all business. I've always been really angered by the idea of dress codes and the like (it's part of my nature to rebel against conformity, ya'll), and as looks like this are a staple of that scene, it was usually my tendency to dislike them.


Yet, I can't help but love this look. It feels pretty fun, and is pretty different from what I usually wear, so I'm kinda digging that. The hot pink shirt probably doesn't hurt either, haha, and man this top photographs brighter than the sun.


I seem to be tucking in my tops a lot recently, which is a bit odd to me because that's also something I haven't been prone to do in the past. Being completely candid, I've always been a bit self-conscious about my belly, but I'm beginning to think that I've finally managed to get over that. Yay for body acceptance, ya'll!


These heels are part of a quadrilogy of awesome in my closet, as I have this same style in three other colors (and you've seen them all on the blog by now, ya'll). I think this picture turned out pretty great, anyhow.


If you've made it this far, here's a little bonus factoid about my life. While I'm a makeup artist by trade, I also have a data entry job that I do from home to help pay the bills. I've got a monumental amount of work to get done today on that front, so I thought it might be fun to try to "dress the part" so to speak to inspire myself to work better. Of course, I've now taken up a good chunk of that time getting dressed, taking & editing these photos, and writing this post, but hey! I'm off to go focus on that now though, so let me know what you think of this look in the comments below while I sit here and type type type.

8 comments:

  1. Extremely cute! I love bright tops under black blazers and other suiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I'm a fan of bright pops of color, and that top is seriously blinding bright alright, haha.

      Delete
  2. Great outfit! I especially love the skirt. It looks slammin' on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really happy with how this outfit came together given my utter lack of experience with this style of dress. Appreciate the compliments!

      Delete
  3. Hi! Everyone should be able to be themselves. Freedom for all people. You look good in the outfit

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the outfit. I wish I could wear that, maybe one day when I am on a trip I will have the courage to go out like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MB! It's not always easy to so openly defy social conventions, so feel content to progress along at whatever comfort level is right for you. Stay safe and keep rockin'!

      Delete