Friday, October 12, 2012

10/11/12 OOTD: Geometry

Time for another OOTD! It's been a long time coming, I know, but Sept / Oct is just such a busy and weird month for me as a makeup artist. Anyhow, let's get into it!


Jacket: F21+
Dress: Evans USA
Belt: Torrid
Tights: Evans USA
Shoes: Madden Girl

Alright, so I must confess straight up, this isn't exactly an outfit of the day, as I didn't actually wear it out anywhere. Besides going back and forth to makeup gigs, I haven't really had time to leave my house for anything else this month. That being said, when I received this dress in the mail I just couldn't resist putting together a look for it, and taking some quick pictures, and this is the result.


Dresses are one of those things that I'm kinda hesistant to just buy on a whim. I've had some success and failure, and at the end of the day it just feels a bit easier to buy seperates as a man, not knowing how bust areas are going to look / fit on most dresses. A while ago now, Mrs. Spookshow suggested that I should probably look for shift dresses in terms of best fit for me, so when I saw this cool geometric print shift dress, I decided to go for it. I'm glad I did. 


I was initially unsure about belting such an awesome print, but in the end I think it worked out pretty well. This dress fits pretty great, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunity to try some unbelted looks with it down the road.


While the dress on it's own is pretty fantastic, I kinda feel like this awesome jacket just throws it over the edge. I'd be remiss if I didn't say that I feel this look is a pretty iconic representation of my style. I'm not entirely sure how to put it in words, but yeah.


These tights are pretty cool, ya'll. I'm don't think it reads in the other photos well, but they've got an awesome pattern that goes pretty great with the dress. I've kinda been on a pattern tights kick recently, so these were a great buy! These shoes remain a favorite, and I probably show them too much on the blog.


I've received some messages commenting about the similar poses I tend to do, so I wanted to take a more or less just standing shot. Of course, I'm still mugging for the camera a little, but I can't help it, haha. Anyhow, I suppose that's it for this OOTD. I'm hoping to wear this outfit out and about soon, perhaps to a work wrap party. I'll be back soon with more OOTD posts, but until then feel free to let me know what you think of this look in the comments below!

19 comments:

  1. This dress looks GREAT on you. And I'm forever envious of your great gams too. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is SO AWESOME. With and without the jacket. Possibly one of my favorites from this blog so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, this dress kinda kills. I'm glad it works on me, haha. Thank you, Eve!

      Delete
  3. I think this may be my favourite outfit if yours to date! Love all the elements you've pulled together here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that jacket, and it has officially become my everything. Also, the print of that dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah the jacket is amazing. I can't wait to finally start wearing it in earnest now that it's cooling off here. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Agreeing with your wife, shift dresses look great on you. Love the dress, but the jacket is my favourite piece here. Adore the styling. :)

    http://sortlifeoutbuymilk.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I´m not sure if you´re serious or not.

    But in case you are, im gonna leave my opinion...

    I´m not against your idea, but what you do is just take some women clothes & put it on...

    I mean, this dress is gorgeous, but why do you have to use a waist belt?, women uses it to enhace their features, to show some curves, tiny waist & nice hips, but you are a man! your body is completly different & with this ultra girly belt, you look drag...

    I guess what i want to say is that you don´t have to extract all the manly stuff, to make your project,

    this guy from lookbook, make something similar, but if you don´t see his face, you still can tell that is a man, with your outfits, that doesn´t happen.

    http://lookbook.nu/user/66083-Andre-J/looks


    Sorry for my bad english, i hope my comment doesn´t look hostile or something it´s just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm totally serious.

      I can't help but feel that you've kinda missed the point of this blog, Alee. It's all about challenging the very perceptions and observations you've made here.

      The belt is a perfect example here, actually. While it's true that there are body differences between men and women, the public opinion of how those bodies should be dressed has changed significantly over the years. For example, a quick internet search will reveal many old ads for men's corsets, which at one point in history was a popular look for males. Nowadays, outside of the gothic subculture a corset is seen and even remembered as a strictly female garment.

      It would be just as easy to say that men wearing high heels is strange, because only women should show off their legs, but then at one point in history it was men who wore high heels and stockings. My point is that the opinions on clothing and what is and isn't acceptable to wear for each gender changes over time, so what exactly is the point in being so beholden to them anyways?

      When I get dressed, I only really concern myself with if a look works or not on my body. That doesn't include current social perceptions of how other people think my body should look. I'm of the opinion that there's really no such thing as an ultra girly belt, as belts have no inherit gender, but rather there's only an opinion placed on an inanimate object based on arbitrary gender rules. That's exactly what this blog seeks to question.

      Thanks for taking the time to comment here, Alee.

      Delete
  7. I love it with the jacket. Without? To be honest, I'm not totally sure about the sleeves (they make the outfit seem way more casual). The jacket, like the belt, really holds it together. Hope you have somewhere fun to go and wear it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely LOVE this outfit! You are so fabulous and brave. I'm so glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love what you're doing here, and that print is absolutely beautiful! The jacket just makes the outfit. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just grabbed this dress from Target (of all places!!) and it's super cute and flattering, especially for more of a straight-bodied person. It creates the illusion of a waist. I had some other friends try it on and honestly, it looked good on all of us (even my cury friends). There's a green version as well and it's really inexpensive. I think it would look AWESOME on you (either the black/gray or the green/gray). Pair it with some dark hose or leggings and a boot or bootie kind of shoe. I'm doing black hose and platform ankle booties with it.

    here's the link: http://www.target.com/p/mossimo-women-s-colorblock-3-4-sleeve-sweater-dress-black/-/A-14176467#prodSlot=medium_1_11&term=sweater dress

    Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am very glad you descided to buy it, because it really suits you :) You look great :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. the dress really looks amazing on you
    jameseq

    ReplyDelete
  13. i just came across your blog td, and i love it...you look amazing

    ReplyDelete