Monday, September 17, 2012

Behind the Seams: Mr. Spookshow's Haunted Closet

Here's a post I've been planning to do for a good while now, but just finally got the time to do so. Let's get into it!

One of the most common compliments I receive in messages on the internet is envy of my clothing collection. While I can say truthfully (and without conceit) that I do own a ridiculous amount of clothing, recently my addiction to sartorial expenditures has come back to haunt me. You see, while our house is in many ways fantastic, one area that is woefully lacking is our closet space...


This is all of the closet space that Mrs. Spookshow & I have to work with, and much as I would absolutely love to have a huge walk in closet, it simply isn't possible in this house. So, we share this tiny space, with our two halves of the closet in a constant border war. To be fair, my side is definitely the aggressor here, ha. (My clothes are on the left side in this picture, fyi)

Anyhow, it quickly became apparent to me that I'm outgrowing my space here, and seeing as I've already got an eight drawer dresser full of clothing as well. So, with steely determination, I began a search for closet space saving options. Enter the tiered hanger...


A majority of my closet space is taken up by skirts hung on thick white plastic hangers, so I felt the best place to start with the space saving would be to eliminate those hangers. I found this tiered hanger on Amazon, and while a bit spendy I felt the quality of the hanger made it a worthwhile investment. A quick count revealed that I had 24 skirts that I'd like to utilize these hangers for (and 30 skirts, total), so over the past few months I've slowly purchased six hangers.

Before I started the hanger switcheroo, I thought it would be fun to take some measurements to see how much space I actually wide up saving. Before the new hangers, the clothing in my closet takes up 32 inches of space from end to end, with my collection of skirts comprising 17 inches of that space. We can do better!


I took all the skirts out of the closet and into the living room, where I sorted them into six groups based on color, style, or just how I feel about them. Above is the pile of plastic hangers that have been replaced.

Eliminating the plastic hangers and replacing them with tiered skirt hangers has actually saved me a significant amount of space. All said, my skirt collection now takes up nine inches of space, which means I nearly cut their closet footprint in half. As for my closet, it's down to 24 inches end to end...


Closet space is likely to always be an issue for me for as long as we live here, but I feel pretty good about these first steps towards organizing it and saving space. Now's your chance to chime in here; let me know how you save space in your own closet!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Michael,

    I just discovered your blog and I'm reading it bottom to top. I've just finished the "february fashion freedom" series and stopped to write this comment.

    You are awesome. I wish I could be like you.

    If I can make a suggestion, I would like to see more posts about the bad side of all of this. If you are rocking those awesome outfits around, you probably get a lot of prejudice from people. How do you deal with that? I know the looks and laughs sometimes are bad enough, but how it is the reaction of people when you talk to them? Are they always polite? Do they try to pretend it is not happening?

    Also, it seems to me that is easier to deal with women, even when they are rude. But how do you deal with men? Like a doorman, a waiter, a cashier at the supermarket? Do they call you "miss" or stuff like that? Don't they talk to you with sarcasm?

    I had wear skirts, heels and other feminine garments outside like you, not trying to emulate a woman. It was awesome and horrible at the same time. Awesome because I felt free. It's like been out of prison for the first time. But horrible because of the self consciousness and the feeling that all eyes where on me all the time. It kinda makes me want to go back to "prison" asap. Do you feel that?

    Forgive me for the long message, but I just found the blog and for the first time I feel like a found somebody that understand me :)

    Please, don't ever stop writing this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you are enjoying the blog.

      I do write about my experiences here (you can find any of that under the "Personal Experiences" category), and the truth is that I haven't had too many negative experiences to really write about. Sure, people will double take or gawk, but that's just the nature of the beast given that what I'm doing is seen as unconventional. I've not had any real rudeness or issues really, though.

      I think a lot of that comes from the fact that I don't care what people think of me, so I tend to not really pay much mind to reactions anyways. Confidence is the best accessory, and I really think that if you wear something that's seen as unusual, but do it with confidence, people are less prone to hostility. I think there's probably a huge perception difference between a man in a dress with his head down walking quickly versus a man in a dress who will look you in the eye, smile, and say hello as you walk by, you know?

      Anyhow, I've got no plans to stop writing here, haha, and I appreciate your readership!

      Delete
  2. Oh, closet space, closet space...

    My biggest problem is shoes. I've done ok keeping my shirts, skirts, dresses down to a manageable level, but the shoes... they end up all over the floor, in the closet and out of it. I'm seriously thinking about investing in an over-the-door shoe organizer!

    And I'm dreading the day that I move in with someone and have to share a closet, I've got the master bedroom to myself right now in a three-bedroom place with housemates, and take it up all by myself... and it's actually a pretty big closet for an apartment! I don't think I'll be a good closet sharer. :(

    ReplyDelete