Thursday, June 14, 2012

06/14/12 OOTD: Totemic

Whoa, it's been a little bit since my last OOTD, huh? To be honest, summer here in Florida is a bit of a hard time for me, sartorially. What can I say, I like to wear dark colors. My wardrobe is much more suited to fall, in fact a lot of my clothing purchasing happens during the winter months, because that is when the stores stock the types of looks that I like. I always find it a bit hard to be inspired in spring and summer because of this. In a sense, I seem to go into sartorial hibernation when it gets hot. Ah, well.

That being said, I do have an OOTD today, which is long overdue. Here's the closest this spooky boy gets to summer style.


Top: Ruffle sheer top from Forever 21+
Belt: Plate stretch belt from Torrid
Shorts: Tribal print tiered shorts from Forever 21+
Tights: Curves 60 denier plush tights from Pretty Polly
Shoes: Silver cap toe flats by Merona

As I said above I really have issues with balancing my aesthetic and the weather here in Florida in the summer. This top may be black, and have longer sleeves, but it's actually very lightweight and cool surprisingly, which is why I chose to wear it here. The shorts are probably pretty summery, honestly, and they are also, well ... super short. In terms of the weather, I'd probably be better off with sheer tights, but the black opaques definitely look better, so I went with it. Short shorts are short, ha, and I don't think I'd feel dressed enough without the tights. I usually prefer ankle boots for shoes, and I think that would look hot here, but the ballet flats are much cooler and lighter, and I've been meaning to show these shoes off for a while now anyways.



Overall, I like this outfit quite a bit. The style of the top, belt, and shorts actually kind of reminds me of the playsuits that seem to be so popular currently, and even though I haven't been a fan of that style previously, I kinda dig the undertones of it that I get from this outfit. Two things I really like are ruffles and tribal print, so combining them both here (even if it is shorts) is excellent.


Here's a pose I haven't done here before, ha! Not sure why I felt inspired to take this photo, but I went with it. I liked it well enough to share here. Showin' off some fat booty, ha.

Actually, since we are on that topic, there's something I've wanted to say regarding that for a little while now. Part of the inspiration when I started this blog was not only showing off men's freestyle fashion, but also general body acceptance. If you search the internet for men in skirts, one thing the majority of the guys in the photos will have in common, is that they are stick thin. For the longest time, I really felt like freestyle fashion was totally off limits to me given my size, even though I've long been a supporter of the women's fatshion movement. Anyhow, eventually I realized that my personal hangups about my own size were a bit hypocritical in that sense, and decided that since there wasn't a plus size men's freestyle fashion inspiration on the internet, I would have to be that inspiration. 

Some of the criticism I see about myself on the internet concerns my size, and I find that a bit unfortunate. Style isn't size exclusive. Some of my plus size readers can probably relate, and even I'll admit I do still struggle with body acceptance sometimes. The thing I often remind myself of is that instead of getting so hung up on the question, "Does this dress make my butt look big?" I should instead realize that yes, my butt IS big, regardless of the dress, and that's OKAY. In my world, fashion is limited by neither gender nor size. Love yourself!


So, now that that tangent is out of the way, let's get this OOTD back on track, ha!



Ignoring modesty, I wanted to show that these are in fact shorts under those awesome ruffles. Also, holy legs, Batman!


This is the best way I could figure to show off the shoes, as they just kinda blend into the tights in the other photos. I've always loved photos from this view on other blogs, so it's about time it made it here.

I'm curious to know, for those of you who also like to rock darker clothes, how do you deal with the balance between your style and the heat in the summer months? Also, if any of you have any tips or suggestions for me with regards to summer clothing, feel free to chime in below. Hope you enjoyed this OOTD!



20 comments:

  1. Aaah, you look so stunning!!!

    Thank you so much for being that plus size fashion inspiration for me. I know I said that before, but I felt the same way as you about myself - like being a fabulous femme man was off limits to me because I'm fat.

    You are a major reason why I accept myself now, feel a lot happier about my body, and why I embrace wearing any clothes I want to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Toby! This means so much to me!

      Delete
  2. I think I'm in love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kiiiiiiiiinda obsessed with you. <3 i try to use my blog to educate people about body acceptance, too! I am so impressed with your look and your outlook (hehe see what i did there?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary Anne! I appreciate the compliments! Keep on bein' awesome! <3

      Delete
  4. Hmmm... I wear black and dark colors pretty much 24/7. For summer I tend to make sure things are mostly cotton (or linen), and instead of tights I highly recommend bike shorts if the skirt/shorts are a bit too short. http://www.womanwithin.com/Product.aspx?PfId=64254&ProductTypeId=1&affiliate_id=017&affiliate_location_id=04&mr:referralID=fa19ba2d-b67b-11e1-ac63-001b2166c2c0 are a good example; although men's would work too and may provide support the women's don't.

    I tend to skip underwear when I wear bike shorts, and often replace bras with cotton tanks. I also like long, flow-y dresses/skirts in gauzy cottons as they move beautifully and are so cool.

    P.S. I'm female, but I hate pants so I wear skirts or dresses 24/7. Long cargo skirts if I'm climbing around doing wiring or builds, full skirts most of the rest of the time as they're comfortable and easy to move in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, Alumiere! I pretty much hate pants anymore, as well, and should probably just donate the ones I own, honestly. Anyhow, keep rockin'!

      Delete
  5. AnonymousJune 14, 2012

    Just ran across this on tumblr. I LOVE IT!!!!

    Do you mind telling us what size you wear? Specifically in shoes, I always have trouble finding cute and affordable shoes in larger sizes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anon!

      I tend to be anywhere from a US 20 to 24 in terms of clothing size. It just depends on the particular garment. When it comes to shoes, apparently my ideal size is a 10ww, but as that's kinda non-standard I tend to go with 11w or 12s. A lot of the really awesome shoes tend to stop at 10 or 11, which really bums me out! Endless.com has a good selection of shoes in my size, as does Barefoottess.com, though the later can be rather spendy.

      Thanks for the compliments!

      Delete
  6. Oh, you kept us waiting! :)

    I love bright colour, so summer doesn't present a styling challenge on that front for me, but what does get tiresome is when it's properly hot (I live in Australia) it comes down to wearing pretty much as little clothing as possible. That kind of restricts some creativity, when you'd like to style multiple items and can only bear to throw on a light dress.

    As mentioned above, paying attention to fibre content can really help if dark colours are your thing. Cotton and silk are mainstays for me - but I can't handle the wrinkle factor of linen.

    And I'm certainly glad you decided to take the step into plus size fashion freedom blogging. I'm sure you will have inspired more people than you realise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I did. Ideally I want to at least do a weekly OOTD from here on out, though the weather has been rather crap recently so I haven't been able to take any good pictures.

      Yeah, the weather here in Florida is also pretty wretchedly hot in the summer, with more than a dash of humid as hell. This past winter I discovered the awesomeness of jackets and just general layering, so it's been hard to give that up.

      Anyhow, thank you for the taking the time to comment here again, Thursday! <3

      Delete
  7. I'm in Florida, too. I've found it's best just to not go outside ever, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me laugh. It's a shame it's so true, though. That tends to be my general policy as well, ha!

      Delete
  8. I love what you have to say about fashion not being limited by body size. It's super inspiring to see people like you being true to their personal style, even when faced with criticism (and looking good while doing it!).
    Those shorts look amazing!

    My summer clothing choices, like what most people have said, consist of brighter colors (I love them) and darker colors in breathable fabrics. Most of the clothes I ended up buying for this summer were in blacks and navys, but they're breathable fabrics like cotton. I live further north than FL though, so I can also sometimes wear polyester black clothing if it's revealing without -too- much discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate the compliments!

      I've seen a lot of darker colors in stores this summer, actually, but mostly in sheer or very light fabric. It's actually kinda nice, for me. I am trying to branch out though, and at least incorporate more greys and such in my wardrobe. As much as I enjoy brighter colors on others, it's just not for me, ha.

      Delete
  9. You are so fabulous, as always, but I think this outfit is one of my favourites of this blog so far, those shorts are just so cute! Oh, and btw, I was totally starstruck by the fact that you commented on my blog, and bought the same dress as me. I can't wait to see it styled your way. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love your blog and do read all of your posts (Google Translate FTW, ha!). I did try to buy that dress, but unfortunately it wound up being out of stock in my size. Drats! Anyhow, I look forward to seeing more of your styles, as I do find your use of color very inspiring! <3

      Delete
  10. I love that skort! Super cute.

    You make me happy:)

    ReplyDelete