Friday, April 20, 2012

04/20/12 OOTD: Distressed

So, first I need to apologize for my lack of activity on the blog this month. I wish I could say I've been super busy with important things, but the truth is I've just been too caught up in my other interests (Warhammer, in case you wondered), and the time has just flown by. I'm sorry for neglecting this blog, and want everyone who reads it to know that I appreciate you!

With that out of the way, I've got some cool new clothes to show you guys, so this is the first of a few outfit posts that will go up today. Let's get to it ...


Top: Shadow stripe shirt from ASOS Curve
Camisole: V-neck cami from Forever 21+
Skirt: Distressed abstract skirt from Forever 21+
Tights: Kunert satin look 20 in marine
Shoes: Funtasma bloody pump by Pleaser

This outfit just sorta happened. I've got to take some outfit photos of clothing from Mrs. Spookshow's etsy shop, and as I was going through my clothes I saw this skirt and had an idea. I haven't really worn this skirt since I bought it a month ago, so I figured it was time to show it off. I had also been wanting to try out the cami under this shirt, as I've had a lot of trouble finding tops to go under it that look right. I threw on these heels (which I haven't worn since my birthday back in the Febraury OOTD) and nearly fell over when I saw the outfit in the mirror. The skirt + heels... Hot. Hot. Hot.

I've been a bit uncertain about the cami, honestly, but I wanted to try one. Sometimes when I'm wearing certain off the shoulder tops, I'll find myself thinking that it would look better with a cami under it, so that the straps break up the space a bit. I'm not sure if that's just because when women wear tops off the shoulder you often see bra strap, so my mind is a bit conditioned to expect it, or what. Back to the cami and me, however .. yeah, I find myself worrying that maybe it's a bit too feminine to work, but really what does that even mean? The whole point of this blog is breaking those gender stereotypes on clothing, so I feel I shouldn't be hindered by them. I always try to look at things objectively, without any of those preconceived notions, and ask myself, "Does this work on my body shape?" I suppose since I'm posting this outfit (and indeed do feel quite good about it) that my answer is yes, but I'm curious to know your thoughts on this topic. Let me know below!

It occurred to me that I've never posted a serious face shot of myself here. I mean, sure you see my face in all my outfit photos, but I've never taken a photo of pretty much just my face, close up. Well, now I have ... behold!



I feel my lips look quite pink in this photo, but no I'm not wearing lipstick. My lips are often quite vibrant in color, to the point that people often ask me if I'm wearing lipstick. I've tried it (I am a makeup artist, after all), but honestly I've always felt it clashes with the beard a bit much. I kind of view facial hair as a man's version of makeup, of sorts, and tend to just leave it at that. 

Time to wrap this up, but not before I share one last picture from this set!



10 comments:

  1. That is a great outfit and looks really good on you. The shoes look wonderful, I'm green with envy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eva! I definitely felt pretty rockin' in this outfit, and yeah the shoes are to die for (ha!). I appreciate your compliments!

      Delete
  2. I have eyed off those Funtasma pumps myself and love how they look here! I've also pondered that sheer stripe top from ASOS but wondered how it might work for me - I love what you've done here and I think the cami underneath works very nicely. That's how I would wear it, but camisoles are a wardobe staple for me, as I like a lot of sheer blouses. Perhaps you can experiment with some different styles of camisoles, like tanks with wider straps, racer backs, etc., to get a feel for what works best for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shoes are definitely awesome, and I recommend picking them up. I believe they were only $50, and while I expected them to be of lesser quality, I was pleasantly surprised by them. They are really nice heels.

      I also love sheer tops, as I think it's easy to get a cool, harder look with them, if that makes sense. I've a bit of a gothic background, which probably leds to my love of sheer black fabrics. Anyhow, yes I believe I will experiment a lot more with camis and tanks, as I've come to really enjoy what they add to my wardrobe. I'd love to find a good racer back that fits me well, but just haven't yet.

      Thanks for the compliments, Thursday!

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! Thanks for the style inspiration:) The problem with buying labels from the US for us Aussies is that even if the piece itself is inexpensive, shipping can be very painful:( But I'm sure the next time you rock these I'll hear my credit card sigh!

      My style is more vintage, 40's and 50's inspired, but often with a harder edge inspired by fetish and rock elements, such as wide buckle belts and spike jewellery. It's those tougher elements that I can find really challenging to incorporate subtly though, so I am taking some lessons from you!

      Delete
    3. Ah, yeah. I'm familiar with the pain of shipping from the US to AUS. You know, it honestly blows my mind that it's still so expensive to send stuff across the world in this day and age. I mean, I know there's high fuel costs and everything else, but I dunno, I feel like it's 2012 and it should be simpler and more cost effective by now. Maybe it's just the internet making the world feel smaller and more connected, perhaps. Ah, well.

      Your style sounds awesome. You should start a fashion blog of your own. I'm sure people would love to see how you rock it out!

      Delete
  3. Mark from Brisbane AustraliaApril 26, 2012

    Now that does look good on you, by the way I've had a brain storm of sorts, see what you can do with the traditional male business suite, OK, picture this, keep the shirt and tie with the business jacket but do away with the booring trouses, instead look for a medium lenth skirt with stockings with high heels, see how that would go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah I think a men's suit skirt set can definitely rock, and to be honest I might be inclined to wear that style if it existed. Truthfully, I don't own any suit jackets or even a tie, as I've never had to wear one (and it's just not my style anyhow). I did actually post a picture of a business-style outfit to my Flickr account a year ago, just for a bit of fun. You can check that out at this link. It's one of my older photos and as such the quality isn't fantastic, but hey!

      Delete
  4. I am totally wearing that skirt today but in yellow. I am lusting after the heels but need them in wedge/platform form. Gorgeous outfit!

    ReplyDelete