Friday, April 20, 2012

04/20/12 OOTD: Airwaves

Another OOTD as I get all caught up on the blog. Here we go!


Top: Asymmetrical batwing top from Mrs. Spookshow's Designs
Skirt: Pleat tier skirt from Roaman's
Tights: Kunert satin look 20 in marine
Shoes: Belted bootie by Barefoot Tess

All of the items here are remixed, with exception to the top, which is another showcase from Mrs. Spookshow's Designs. I came across this fabric while we were out shopping, and like the skirt fabric in this OOTD, it's another April Johnston fabric! Despite it being quite spendy, I had to have it! We found this pattern recently, right after having seen this top on one of the designers on Fashion Star, and I just knew I had to put the two together.


I've always loved asymmetry, and messing around with porportions. It was one of my favorite things to do in art class, and it remains something I enjoy exploring through fashion. The asymmetrical sleeve on this top is just too cool! 


I love the way the sleeve hangs here. Also, I've got a great imperious look / pose going on here, which is sometimes necessary as a man in a skirt, ha.


This outfit is a lot of fun for me, combining all sorts of garments from my closet that I love. The top, skirt, and shoes are all among my favorites, so it's great to throw them together and see what happens!

This style of top is available at Mrs. Spookshow's Designs, but in a different fabric. Despite that, it's still an awesome fabric on the shop, and it's rockin' with an awesome top pattern. I believe Mrs. Spookshow was able to pick up more of the April Johnston fabric I'm wearing here, and those will be available in the shop soon, so keep an eye out.

Anyhow, that's another OOTD & another look into my style. As always, I hope you are able to find inspiration for your own style here. Be sure to let me know what you think in the comments below!

8 comments:

  1. I love the skirt. So cute. Anything with pleats/ruffles just kills me. I especially like the ruffles contrasted with your awesome bracelet. The soft/feminine vs. punk contrast is my favorite, not that I have any idea how to manage it myself.

    Also, can I just say how envious I am that you have a wife who makes clothes for you? That is so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also adore ruffles. I find it really fun to contrast them with something with a harder edge, it's just a look I love to rock. Thank you for the compliments, and yep, Mrs. Spookshow is indeed amazing!

      Delete
  2. I like all the outfits you've posted recently, and I especially love the shoes with this outfit! Can I make a small request? Can you please post a shot with every OOTD that shows the shoes/footwear from the side? I always want to see the heels on shoes and I'd especially love the see the heels on these. (I'm hoping they're a wedge...) Thanks and keep up the amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anon! You know, I could have swore that I'd posted a side shot of these heels before, but looking back through my OOTDs, I haven't. There is an old side shot of them on my Flickr account here, though. I'll be sure to try to take more side shot photos of the shoes, although sometimes I don't if I think I've already done so on another OOTD.

      Delete
  3. I'm not usually drawn to asymmetrical garments--there's something about them that just makes my brain twitchy. (Especially the one-sleeved dresses that are super trendy.) I like this, though! And I like how you styled it, the ruffles are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mia! I was really happy with this outfit as well, although in retrospect I'm surprised at how this makes me look shorter than I actually am. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it's just interesting to me. Now I've learned to keep an eye on how proportions and perspective work in my outfits, ha!

      Delete
  4. Mark from Brisbane AustraliaApril 25, 2012

    Wow, that top looks very Spring/Summer to it, the skirt isn't too bad at all, you also must be wearing a singlet underneeth the shirt, wow, very good as we are now starting to feel the efects of a cool autumn here in Australia, brillient shoes by the way and it matches the stocking/hosery that goes well with the skirt, give it time, a lot more men would eventually want to wear a skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, this might be the lightest color top I own, and also the most sping/summer style I have as a result. I'm wearing a cami under it, as I find it helps the top be a little less ... clingy, ha. Thanks for the compliments, Mark!

      Delete