Tuesday, March 6, 2012

February Event Wrap-Up

The February event was a huge success for His Black Dress. I had a lot of fun, got a lot of support, and gained a lot of readers. I'm very appreciative of all of these things! I'll be honest, I wasn't exactly sure what sort of response I would get (if any) when I decided to do the event, and I was deeply surprised with the results. 

I had three goals in mind when I came up with the idea for the event, the first of which was celebration of my personal style revolution. My life has been so enriched since I decided to embrace fashion freedom, to wear what I want when I want, to be myself. It's hard to describe, but there's definitely a feeling of completeness and serenity in knowing that I am unashamedly me. The event was meant to be a full expression of this, and I think it succeeded in this regard. I am so proud of every look I have posted here.

The second goal was to gain experience in skirts & dresses in everyday life. Prior to the event, even though I would often wear a skirt or dress if I was going out, I'd often spend a lot of my around the house time just lazily dressed in shorts & a tee. I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with that, but I wanted to try to break that lazy fashion habit and see how it affected my life. Nothing too exciting really happened with this thought, although I do feel like perhaps I was a bit more happy with myself and had a better outlook during the lazy days because of my style. I think it balanced out a bit though, as I did wind up with a few "lazy, around the house" skirts that basically just replaced the shorts. Same function really, just a lot more comfortable. At the very least, I suppose that's a win too.

The third goal was to gain insight into my closet, to learn more about fashion and my personal style. I think the OOTDs will speak for themselves here, and I'll just say it was a huge success. I learned a lot about the versatility of my closet, although the biggest addition that came from this was an appreciation for accessories. I was really surprised at how a necklace could help to pull an outfit together. Jewelry is definitely on my radar going forward, as it was really fun to try to pick complimentary pieces with my outfits. Moving forward, there will have to be a lot of wardrobe remixing, as I nearly showed every skirt & dress I have. I think I only had 3 dresses that were not photographed! Hopefully, I can take the things I've learned about fashion from the event and apply them through some interesting remixing. 

When I decided to pack away the pants for a month and wear only skirts & dresses, my appreciation for pants was already very low. I was interested to see whether or not being without them for a month would change my mind at all. Would I miss bifurcated garments? Well, it turned out the answer is no. Even though I was already deeply sold on the awesomeness of skirts before I wore them for a month straight, it turns out that now I'm even more in love with them. I'm not going to unpacking the pants. I'll probably pull out one or two pairs of shorts for occasional wear, but largely it's just skirts & dresses for this boy from now on. Sorry pants, it's time for men to rock skirts!

I want to take a moment here to say thank you so very much to everyone who has offered me words of support & encouragement here. I truly appreciate it. Thank you for allowing this boy to share his unique fashion with you. I look forward to continuing to share my take on style with you! I think it's time to up the sartorial ante. Let's rock it out!

6 comments:

  1. Who knows - maybe more men will take up wearing skirts and dresses so that we might have the situation where men are the ones who wear skirts and women wear pants. Then we would be back to the conventions of the ancient Greeks and Romans.

    JohnH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, you know honestly that is the situation at my house! Mrs. Spookshow is nearly always in pants, and I seem to be wearing skirts & dresses all the time now. It's an interesting dynamic! Thanks for taking the time to comment, John. I appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. I only discovered your blog at the very end of the month, but it's been great reading about it. I'm really looking forward to seeing how your style continues to evolve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Thursday! I'm glad you've found the blog and that you've enjoyed it!

      Delete
  3. I discovered you towards the end of the month as well, but I can't get enough of your blog! I think what you are doing is absolutely awesome. I think any person is entitled to wear what makes them feel good & you are an amazing example of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss Peregrin! I really appreciate your support! Thank you for the compliments!

      Delete