Tuesday, March 13, 2012

03/13/12 OOTD: Iron

Thirteen days since my last OOTD. How's that for luck? Let's do this.


Dress: Merona woven dress from Target
Top: Woven looped top from Forever 21+
Belt: Faux feather belt from Forever 21+
Tights: Charnos opaque 60 denier thick tights in black
Shoes: Mia flamenco wedge pump from DSW

This is the same dress as in OOTD: Luster from February, just in a different color. I've had such great luck with dresses from Target, that often when I see a style I like I feel comfortable enough to order it in more than one color. This red is a little bit paler than I thought it would be, and to be honest I wasn't sure how I felt about it. 


Then I got this awesome top! When I ordered it, I wasn't entirely sure what I was going to do with it. I just wasn't sure what would work under it, but I knew that I definitely wanted it, ha! As I was trying it with different items from my closet, it struck me that it might look quite cool over this dress. I love it, and I actually think I like the color of the dress now, at least as long as it's workin' with the black weave here.


I decided to throw this belt into the mix, because I like it. As I've said before, I often have trouble deciding when to belt or not belt a look. It's interesting how much a simple thing like a belt can completely change an outfit dynamic. I thought it looked better with the belt here, so I rocked it.


It occurred to me that I don't think I've ever really shown this angle on the blog. It's not the greatest picture, but I wanted to include it here nonetheless as I felt comfortable enough to do so. It kinda felt like cheating to just have front shots all the time, as people who see me in real life can get all sorts of angles, and I wanted that to be represented here as well. Also, I thought my legs looked good here, ha!


Opaque black tights have really grown on me. Until recently I've never been a huge fan of the look, largely preferring sheer tights to opaques. I think I finally get it, though, naturally just as it's starting to heat up here in Florida, ha! I wasn't sure about repeating the same shoes as in my last OOTD, but they are awesome and I wanted to rock them out today. Can you blame me? I'm really surprised how comfortable they are, especially given the 5 inch heel. Wowza!

I'm really happy with how this look came together. Coming out of Fashion Freedom February and all those OOTDs, honestly I was a bit down on dresses. It was refreshing today to discover how layering different tops & such over them can create such a unique look. I'm currently venturing into the world of layered tops & cardigans, and I'm having a lot of fun experimenting with that.

6 comments:

  1. Love the textures here - the muted red/burgundy with the openwork top really looks great on you.

    I'm ambivalent about opaques - I have to wear them in winter (I wear skirts and dresses 95% of the time and it gets cold here), but I prefer my own look without them. It can challenge your colour pairing skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Thursday! I found this color ("rust", btw) a bit dull on it's own, but I'm really loving it with this top.

      Opaques and color pairing ... ha, so true! I often have to spend a little bit of time holding them up against my clothes under the light to see which particular shade of red or purple is going to look best, ha! I think it's totally worth it, though. I love tights.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, I love that top! One of my friends has a similar open-work top (although hers is tan-colored) and I really admire the look, although I wonder--does it feel itchy on bare skin? I don't know why, but I feel like it would be itchy. Maybe because my first stepmom had these really itchy open-work afghans around our house all the time and the top reminds me of those, hahaha. Red and black is such a great color combination (and one I don't wear enough of)--you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mia! I just knew I had to have this top, even if I wasn't sure what to do with it. It doesn't feel itchy at all, though it is really heavy! I'm glad you've found some inspiration here, now get out there and rock it!

      Delete
  3. I love this blog....Its so much fun,and u look great in these cloths...

    ReplyDelete