Monday, February 6, 2012

Skirting the Issues: Men in Skirts & Dresses at the Super Bowl 2012

Unlike most of America, I did not watch the Super Bowl last night. I did, however, hit YouTube soon after to check out the halftime performance, if only because I like Nicki Minaj and M.I.A. I enjoyed the performance overall, and was quite surprised to find men in skirts & dresses during one of the most high profile televised events of 2012! Surprisingly, I've actually had some difficulty finding good pictures of the men in skirts. Here's what I've managed to come up with.








The men at the beginning are in stylized gladiator skirts. Not necessarily streetwear, but my thought is that they help to show that men have worn skirted garments in the past. The background dancer skirts and tights (leggings?) are an interesting touch, and I feel their outfits manage to maintain a feeling of historic weight while also appearing very current. 

Let's talk about the man on the wire. While this is definitely a take on the toga, I don't think anyone can argue that it's pretty much a one shoulder white dress. This is my favorite outfit of the lot, simply because it isn't as stylized as the others, and it looks pretty ready to wear. There's no two ways around this one, it's a man in a dress. And it works. Pretty cool look for such a high profile section of the performance!

I've been saying for a little while now that I feel like we are on the verge of a fashion freedom breakthrough, and I think this performance lends that some credit. I just feel like I'm seeing a lot of men in skirts & dresses in the media recently, whether it be performances like this, on the runways, or in news stories. A search on Twitter for "guy in skirt" will reveal numerous posts about sightings of men in skirts in public, so I believe that men are out there wearing it now. Regardless, seeing men in skirts at the Super Bowl was a pleasant surprise. The more we get out there and rock it, the sooner people will realize that there's nothing wrong with a guy in a skirt. 

Is this Super Bowl performance a sign of changing times, or just a flash in the pan? What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. I guess most people will not look at this, the way we do. to them, this is just part of the performane, not a statement or advertisement for men in skirts. It would be nice to see fans in skirts flock to the next superbowl, but I fear that we are a ways away from that moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. However, I think that any exposure to men in skirts is still probably positive. Life does have a way of imitating art, after all. In my mind, I like to think that every time someone sees a man in a skirt, it might just get a little less "weird" (if they thought it was to begin with) to them. I'm not sure that skirts will ever be a mainstream thing for men, but I think it can become an accepted subculture like punk or gothic fashion.

      Delete
  2. here is my post on GMP about the skirts from the superbowl show
    http://goodmenproject.com/good-feed-blog/super-bowl-mvp-man-on-a-wire/comment-page-1/#comment-103927

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 06, 2012

    In Greco-Roman times only "barbarians" wore pants. You can't say skirts are a sex difference based on skirts being associated mainly with women. To be a sex diff they'd have to be a difference of anatomy. They are not! Skirts are the other basic way to clothe the legs. Pants were invented for horseback riding. How many men go about on horseback today? Damn few, but regardless of the cause of pants vanishing, psychiatry sees to it that the conformity is enforced by calling it "mental health." Scan the New York Times to see what psychiatry used to say about women in pants! Start with the editorial "A Curious Disease."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely right, Anon. We're takin' the skirts back!

      Delete