Wednesday, February 29, 2012

02/29/12 OOTD: Scorch

The last day. Let's do this.


Top: Van Heusen dress shirt from JC Penney
Jacket: Sheer stripe moto jacket from Ashley Stewart
Necklace: Looted from Mrs. Spookshow's jewelry box
Skirt: Made by Mrs. Spookshow
Tights: Kunert satin look 20 in black
Shoes: Mia flamenco wedge pump from DSW

I've been looking forward to wearing this look for a while now. I wanted to make sure that I ended this month of OOTDs with something I was really proud of. This look is a perfect expression of my personal style. I really love the jacket here. I've never worn it zipped up before, but I really like how it's rockin' with the dress shirt. The star here, however, is definitely the skirt ... 


I found this fabric while on our trip to Tampa, Florida, earlier this month. When I go looking for fabric, I'm often rather hasty about it. I like to quickly look at a shelf of fabric, and only really bother with fabrics that immediately catch my eye. I couldn't grab this one faster. This fabric is actually part of the Project Runway line, specifically credited to my favorite designer of all time on the show, April Johnston. As if the deal wasn't already sealed with buying this fabric, ha.

I immediately knew I wanted to use this pocketed skirt pattern for this fabric, pairing it with a shiny black material for the accents. It actually took us a few trips to different fabric stores to find the right black fabric, but it was well worth it. Mrs. Spookshow rocked this one out as always; it's so awesome to have a costume designer for a wife! 


I previewed these shoes on Twitter last week (you do follow His Black Dress on Twitter, right?), and am excited to finally get to wear them. I picked these up from DSW with a gift card Mrs. Spookshow gave me for my birthday. At 5 inches these are the highest heels I have! The most exciting detail about these shoes for me, though, is that they are size 11m. I typically find I need to wear a 12, which often just barely cuts me off from most designer shoes. The reviews for this shoe said that they ran a bit large, however, and I find they actually fit me perfectly. The design is also killer, and I really love the criss-crossed straps.


So, this is the last look of my Fashion Freedom February event. It's been such a fun ride, and to be honest I'm not ready for it to be over. I want to say thank you to everyone who has followed this little event, taken the time to comment, and shared my OOTDs across the web. I want you to know that I have received many messages from people saying that what I've been doing here has affected them in positive ways, giving them confidence or courage to be themselves. That is why I write this blog. Without you, the readers, that message would not spread. Thank you for following & promoted this blog!

What happens now? Well, honestly I would really like to know what you would like to see on this blog in the future! Seriously. More OOTDs? Wardrobe remixes? What topics do you want me to talk about in future essays? Do you want to see more interviews? Got another challenge for me? Please let me know, either in the comments below or (if you'd like to do so more privately) email me at HisBlackDress@gmail.com. I want to know what you think! 

Thank you again for all the success this month has brought to the blog. I hope you've enjoyed the event, and I look forward to sharing more with you all throughout the rest of the year & beyond!

18 comments:

  1. Rad outfit! You have seriously killer legs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what I love the most about this outfit, the skirt, the jacket or those shoes. They are all seriously amazing!

    Oh, and I agree with Leah, you have amazing legs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalie! I don't think I could pick favorites with this outfit either, though I love this skirt so much!

      Delete
  3. I just found your blog and have to say that you rock. I wish I had the where-with-all to wear women's clothes in public. And I love those Mia flamenco wedge pumps. Too bad they don't make them in my size (13).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliments! I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  4. As another guy that wears heels. I got to say I love your sense of style. I hope to get to a point someday where I can wear skirts to when I want. I have no problem wear heels and women's jeans, but just never been able to wear a skirt like I want when I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scrappycoco! I've seen your outfits on a forum, and I've always really liked your style. Thanks for stopping by and commenting here!

      Delete
  5. Maria TheoMarch 02, 2012

    I just discovered your blog today and am enjoying it so much! What a wonderful style you have. And your shoes...oh, the shoes! Great work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria! I'm glad you like the blog! Thanks for the compliments.

      Delete
  6. I'll admit I was a bit skeptical when I clicked over here from Already Pretty, but you have completely won me over. You are rocking these clothes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claire. I know what I do can be a bit jarring at first, but my hope is that by being out there and having an opportunity to speak with people here I can show that boys in skirts are cool. I'm glad you like the blog and support what I'm doing here. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. You have the cutest outfits! and I hope you aren't tired of hearing what killer legs you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin! Mrs. Spookshow is totally to thank for this one! Oh, I think I can handle a few more compliments about my legs, and I appreciate them very much, ha! Thank you!

      Delete
  8. I was checking american sites for female fashion... then came across this site... if that female fashion were as good as your sense of style, the world would be much more appealing to the eye!

    I'm a woman btw... and I want those clothes! Can't pick a favorite piece, I think I'll go with the jacket. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the outfit, what experiences have you had going to restaurants? I have went out in public dressed as you once. I was ok had some people staring but that was it. I would love to see pics of you in public, also have you thought about a group outing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, MB! Thanks for contributing. To be honest I really just don't pay much attention to reactions while I'm out and about. Sure, people will stare, laugh, glare, ect, but I find it's best to just ignore all that and continue on with my life. I'm going to try to take more pictures out and about, though, as some people have requested seeing that here.

      Anyhow, thanks for the compliments!

      Delete