Thursday, February 16, 2012

02/16/12 OOTD: Lazarus

Wow, 16 days in so far. It feels like this month is going by very fast, it's a bit surreal.


Top: Made by Mrs. Spookshow
Necklace: From Mrs. Spookshow's jewelry box, again.
Skirt: Pinstripe skirt from Lane Bryant
Tights: Charnos opaque 60 denier thick tights in purple
Shoes: Mossimo flannel flats from Target

It's really interesting how this look came together today. See, I knew I wouldn't be going out anywhere today ... so in a sense I didn't want to "waste" a good OOTD sitting around the house. This skirt has just been hanging in the back of my closet, and to be honest I wasn't even sure I would wear it this month. Today, I thought, "Well, why not" and pulled it out.

Despite the neglected status, this skirt is actually kind of important to me. I wore this skirt in the very first skirted picture I posted on Flickr. Let's check that out ...


Here is what I had to say about this look at the time: "I've always been interested in freestyle fashion. My goal is to not be hindered by what rack a garment came from, and to present myself in a fashionable, tasteful, unique way. I see no reason why a man cannot wear whatever he pleases."

Well, my attitude certainly hasn't changed since then, though I feel my style definitely has. At the time I took this picture and started on this fashion freedom journey, I didn't ever imagine that I'd be here now. I've gained a real appreciation for color, and tried to add it to my wardrobe where I can. I've learned so much about my body and how to dress to flatter it (although I'm still learning there, too), and just about accessorizing in general. 

I've really spent the year since I took that picture reinventing myself, embracing the styles I love and finding the courage to be myself. It's been very rewarding.


Here is a closer shot of both the necklace and the neckline of the top. This is another garment I wasn't sure what I was going to do with this month, and then I thought it might be fun with this skirt. I actually think they work pretty well together. 

The name of this OOTD comes from the LZ in the picture, which always makes me think of Lazarus for some reason. The letters were there when we bought the house, and I've always wondered what the story is behind them. There's also some significance to resurrecting my first skirt for this set, as well.

I wanted to do something different for the shoe shot today, and I really like how this one turned out. I bought these shoes over the weekend when Mrs. Spookshow and I were in Tampa, as I desperately needed a pair of flats and had forgotten to pack any. Truthfully, I would have bought them even if that wasn't the case, but shh. I really like these shoes, although they did have to spend a few days with my shoe stretchers because they were digging into my heels. They seem much better now, though, and will probably be a staple shoe for me in the coming months.

I wasn't expecting much from this outfit, but I've got to say that I'm actually really loving how it turned out!

I want to mention that I feel like this outfit was inspired by some of the outfits I've seen over the year on the Fatshionista Flickr group, though I can't point out any particular lovely lady for the inspiration here. I've really enjoyed looking at the beautiful outfits and women on that page, and it's really helped me to both evolve my style and learn to love my body. I want to say thank you to all the women who have welcomed me there, and allowed me to post my outfit photos to the group. I've felt a lot of kinship there, even though I'm not a woman, but just a larger person who also loves fashion. So thank you, ladies.

I hope you enjoyed this retrospective post; it's given me a lot to think about. I'm probably just feeling oddly reflective and such, because tomorrow is my birthday.

8 comments:

  1. WOW. Amazing style my friend. You rock! HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you. Any plans for the B-day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brian! Mrs. Spookshow & I are going out for my birthday, which you can read all about on my latest OOTD! Thanks for the birthday wishes!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Rusina! Don't be a stranger 'round here!

      Delete
  3. I love seeing the photo of you when you first started out publicly celebrating freestyle fashion and then the photos of you now. I can see the confidence has grown in you and you're evolving your own personal style. It's awesome, I love seeing that in people.

    And a belated happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sleepydumpling! It's indeed very interesting to see the change. It's been a fun journey of self discovery.

      Delete
  4. Hey. I've just stumbled onto the site and i've been looking through the february photos. And I was noticing a sort of negative emotion on a lot of the pics, I got sort of worried i had an underlying issue or prejudice, but then when i got to this one- the outfit i would be most likely to wear- and a few others i would like on me i realized the only issue was that other outfits werent to my personal taste- I'm not into the mini-skirt slouchy boot/heels thing. (ooh but that color blocked top? and the skirt with it. damn I am jealous)

    Is there any way i could talk to Ms. Spookshow about adjusting patterns designed for women for male-bodied people?

    sorry if this comment is super weird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment here. I'm glad you found some styles here that you like! I'm very much a fan of the mini & bootie combo, haha, so I do wear it a lot. With some of my looks, like this one here, I try to branch out into other styles, and sometimes I really like it (again, like this one). That's the great thing about fashion, I think, there's something for everyone and it's often really fun trying to figure out what types of styles you like.

      If you'd like to email Mrs. Spookshow, you can reach her at MrsSpookshow@gmail.com. She'd be more than happy to answer any sewing-related questions, I'm sure.

      Thank you for the compliments, Rachel!

      Delete