Saturday, February 11, 2012

02/11/12 OOTD: Curio

Day Number 11. Here we go!


Overshirt: Shadow stripe shirt from ASOS Curve
Undershirt: Made by Mrs. Spookshow
Skirt: Spiderweb skirt by Tripp NYC
Tights: Kunert satin look 20 in black
Shoes: Portia bootine from Payless

As I mentioned on Twitter earlier, today Mrs. Spookshow & I went to the Salvador Dali museum in St. Petersburg, Florida. It was fun, although quite busy. I received a lot of attention, which I suppose is to be expected. Funnily, I think for some people the strangest thing they saw at the Dali museum was a boy in a skirt. Ah, well.



After the museum, Mrs. Spookshow & I went on a shopping spree around town. We hit Catherines, DSW, Target, a fabric store, and JC Penney (tip of the hat to them for standing up for Ellen, btw!). I probably spent entirely too much money, but picked up a cool poncho, a pair of flats, lots of fabric for future garments, and some nice dress shirts.

I had a funny encounter in Target. As I was looking through some clothe racks, I heard a little boy I passed say, "Is that a boy?" I turned to him and replied, "Yep" with a smile. He gave me a puzzled look and asked, "Then why are you wearing a skirt?" I laughed a bit and shrugged, "Why not?" His mother actually gave me a smile and replied, "Exactly." He clearly had some trouble accepting it, and pressed on a bit. "Don't you have other clothes?" His mother promptly shut him down, though, and gave me a smile and shrug as they continued on. This is the first time I've had kids react to me in public, but I knew it would happen eventually as I've heard other men in skirts talk about it often. I feel I handled the situation well without overstepping any boundaries, which I think the mother appreciated. She seemed accepting, which was nice.

I did receive quite a bit of negative attention in JC Penney, although I expected it on a Saturday evening at the mall. Lots of snickers from teenage girls, but haters gonna hate, you know. Mrs. Spookshow said some guy tried to take a photo of me (I didn't notice, but she said he clearly wasn't with good intentions), but she moved between us and blocked it. I feel bad that she often feels defensive of me when we go out, and notices (and cares about) these types of things much more than I do.

Anyhow, we had a lot of fun today! I want to close this post with some more photos from the museum. I'm proud to present the debut of Mrs. Spookshow here on the blog! She has expressed interest in writing a post from the perspective of the wife of a guy in a skirt, which should be a fun read. Look for that soon!





7 comments:

  1. Hey! I have the same shoes now! ;D
    But, with sizing, which size fit you best? Cause I have an 11, but it's somewhat tight. But a 12 feels too big for me. Any light on this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went for 12s, and they fit me pretty perfectly. I could use a little more room with the peeptoe (my big toe was sore after wearing them all day). I often find with booties that I'm safer with a slightly larger size than smaller, though, because the boot style won't let me step out of them and the little bit of extra room is preferable to wearing really tight shoes.

      Delete
  2. I just discovered your blog and...well... what to say?! You guys are WONDERFUL! Beautiful and wonderful! Cheers from Finland :)

    Taake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finland, wow. I really love how the internet can connect us all. Thank you for the compliments!

      Delete
  3. Love your blog! :) I had a question, where did Mrs. Spookshow find her skirt? It is great. Have you tried a full skirt like that yet? You have rocked some great outfits, can't wait to see what is next. I have been looking up some of the items online to find for myself. lol You have great style, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Witchywoman! Actually, haha, Mrs. Spookshow found that skirt in my closet! Yep, it's mine, and I let her borrow it. I featured it in an OOTD here, and purchased it from Jessica London here. Thank you for the compliments!

      Delete
  4. as a bit of a night owl, Ive been browsing the web from tumblr, facebook, youtube etc and i dont remember how but somehow i found my way here. I must say I absolutely love you both already! Lovely fashion sense, (I'm definitely taking notes!!)) and i absolutely adore how the Misses gives you support!
    Truly inspirational!
    :3

    ReplyDelete