Wednesday, February 8, 2012

02/08/12 OOTD: Freefall

Day number eight ... wow! I feel like I've been in a little rut these last few days, as I've just had trouble coming up with truly great outfits. It's a bit of a struggle, as I want to look my best every single day, and I feel like some of my looks so far have really set the bar pretty high for me. There's some great outfits that I've been saving for this weekend & later in the month, and it's left my closet feeling a bit barren for ideas so far this week. Today, I'm breaking free from that rut with a new dress I haven't photographed yet. Here we go!


Dress: Merona sleeveless belted knit dress from Target
Necklace: Snagged from Mrs. Spookshow's jewelry collection
Tights: Charnos opaque 60 denier thick tights in purple
Shoes: Mimi wedge from Torrid

Mrs. Spookshow is always on me about posing with my hands on my hips. While the pose just comes naturally to me (I often just do it without thought), in truth it's also partially because I never know what to do with my hands. I've always wanted to strike this pose, but was always worried it was a bit too girly. Then the thought came, "Wait a minute, this blog is all about breaking free from gender stereotypes and being yourself!" Dresses are fun, this pose is fun, who cares about anything else. I'm just gonna rock it out and enjoy it!

Speaking of just rockin' it ...  I've had some real reservations in the past about sleeveless garments on me (as I'm sure most bigger people can relate to), but another concept I've really tried to embrace recently is body acceptance. Even though I'm not completely happy with my arms, I'm done covering them up just because I'm self-conscious about them. It's a funny concept, though, that I'm fairly fine with rockin' a dress, but arm fat? End. Of. The. World. It's silly, and I'm trying to get over it.

When I saw this dress at Target I had a feeling it might work for me, and I think it does. I also bought this dress in navy (look for that later this month!), and while this isn't a color that I would normally purchase, I thought that maybe this color would be a good idea for summer. Despite reservations about how this color would look on me (I've been an all black kinda guy since my teenage years, I'm still recovering, ha!), I actually think I really like it!


Obligatory leg shot here. I've been trying to make sure I take more than one photo for these looks this month. These shoes are not my favorite; this is one of those situations where I think the quality and fit could be a little better, but the style is good enough to keep around for certain outfits. I have mixed feelings about Torrid shoes. The sizing seems a bit off for me, with most of the shoes being a bit large on me. However, sizing down makes them too small. These shoes were supposed to have laces, but they quickly broke and I haven't replaced them yet, hence the little holes. Ah, well.

Anyhow, that's it for today. See you tomorrow with another OOTD (and a special feature)!

6 comments:

  1. Those stockings + those shoes = AMAZE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! These Charnos tights have some great color.

      Delete
  2. I am lusting for those shoes! And I really love how you accessorized the dress with that necklace. simple, but bold <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I didn't start really accessorizing with necklaces & such until very recently. I can't believe I didn't try it sooner, it's really fun!

      Delete
  3. I love this color combination, though I think a bolero or shrug of some kind would look nice -- balance it out a bit. Your tights and shoes are stealing the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliments & suggestions.

      Delete