Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Special Announcement: Fashion Freedom February!

So I've been teasing a special announcement for a little while now, and today is finally the day to announce it. I'll be running an event on this blog throughout February called Fashion Freedom February.

So what exactly is Fashion Freedom February (F³ for short)? The event is a celebration of fashion without gender boundaries, meant to inspire creativity and individuality through style. The idea is simple: pack away all of my pants & shorts, and wear skirts & dresses for the entire month. Everyday, I will post my outfit, as well as accounts of my experiences that day as a guy in a skirt. That's the basics of F³.

Why am I doing this? There's many reasons, the most important of which are outlined below.

Celebration: This event is meant to be a celebration of my first year of freestyle fashion. Although I posted my first skirted picture to Flickr on March 2, 2011, the seeds for that event were largely planted in February. It's when I found my self-confidence and decided to change my style to fit what I've always wanted it to be. First and foremost, this event is meant to celebrate individuality and personal acceptance.

Experience: I think this will be a very insightful experience. Even though I do wear skirts & dresses very often when I go out, I spend a lot of my time around the house in shorts. I'd like to try to break that "lazy day" habit, and also see what it's like to just do normal guy things while wearing a skirt. My appreciation factor for pants & shorts is already quite low, so I'm interested to see how that changes after being without them for a month. Also, I think it will be fun to share my daily experiences in skirts with the readers.

Insight: I'm hoping to use this event to gain some insight in to my closet. My plan is to try to avoid any similar looks to ones I've already posted to Flickr. There will be some exceptions, both because my closet is somewhat limited and also because I feel some of the looks just work too well not to rock during the month, but largely I'm going to aim for remixes. I'm also going to try to do a little closet cleaning during this event, as any items that I just can't get to work or don't really enjoy wearing I will be selling or otherwise getting rid of after  is over. The idea is that I will come out of this knowing more about my personal style, and what does and doesn't work for me.

Frequency: I'll admit some difficulty coming up with blog topics lately, so I'm also using this event to generate content. I hope that by the end of the event, I'll be in a good rhythm to keep content coming throughout the year. I hope to generate some interest in men's fashion freedom with the event, as the whole reason I run this blog is to try to inspire others to be themselves and to accept other people.

So that's the basics of Fashion Freedom February. I'll have more on it coming soon, and the event itself starts in two weeks! See you there!

2 comments: