Saturday, January 7, 2012

2011 Year in Review

It's been a little bit since my last update (busy holidays and all), but I'm back! Even though it's a week late, I'm counting this as the last post of 2011 for the blog. With that in mind, I thought it would be fun to pick my top 4 looks of the year, and say a bit about them.

2011 was a big year for me on the freestyle fashion front, because it was the year I decided to finally embrace it and rock it! That all started in January, when I decided to take better care of myself and try to lose some weight. I want to state flat out that I'm a supporter of weight acceptance and body love for others, but my personal weight has never been something I've managed to feel good about. Anyhow, it didn't take long to start seeing results, and that quickly gave me a much needed boost in confidence that allowed me to begin my journey into freestyle fashion. Although I posted my first pictures to Flickr at the beginning of March, February was really the true origin of my style (more on that later!).

With all that said, here are my favorite outfits of the year, and some commentary about them.

The Moto Dress
This is the dress that really started it all, and it's been a mainstay on my blog for the year. Readers are probably sick of seeing this dress by now, but damn it, I love it! I did at least take a new picture of it exclusively for this post. Anyhow, this dress is the most perfect example of what I hope to achieve with my style. I've said a lot about it in the past, so if you want to know more about this look, just check out some of my previous posts.

Everyday Freestyle Fashion
This is probably my most common look, a simple skirt paired with a graphic tee. For a long while this year I tried to shun the common t-shirt, but with this look I've managed to work it into my style. The ease of a combination like this just can't be overlooked, sometimes it's just a relaxed, casual sort of day. Also, those shoes are the dark horse of the year, as I originally just bought them as throw away work shoes. I liked them so much, however, that they are now a staple of my fashion, and I'm really not looking forward to putting them away this summer!

Dresses & Jackets
Oh, Fall / Winter, how I love you. I really love pairing jackets and dresses. I've found it a bit difficult to find dresses that work on a male chest, but often that problem can be solved with the addition of a great jacket. I love this jacket in particular, perhaps even more so after seeing one of my favorite Trublood characters wearing it! It just feels hot! I love it paired here with this awesome color purple dress, and some of my favorite heels that I unfortunately just don't wear enough. This was one of those outfits that I just felt great in as soon as I put it on, and that's why it's included here.

New Years
This dress captures a lot of what I love about freestyle fashion. The dress itself is interesting and unique, with a lot of fun details going on, and that's why I chose it to end 2011 with. Yes, I wore this exactly look to a New Year's Eve party, so it literally did ring in the new year. This look symbolizes what I hope to accomplish with freestyle fashion in the future, to create my own take on fashion that represents who I am. So here is to a new year of boys in dresses!

That's 2011 in review on His Black Dress. I hope you've enjoyed the journey so far. I look forward to presenting lots of new, interesting content on the subject of men's freestyle fashion throughout 2012 (and beyond). I have a special announcement concerning the celebration of my adventure into freestyle fashion, so look forward to hearing more about that soon!

Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. The dress, the red color, the look, you...all amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete